his Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to open up a wall for a large glass slider. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQJt...
How to Weatherstrip an Exterior Door: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEJvp...
How to Create an Interior Door Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_tX7...
How to Replace a Rotted Windowsill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8iu9...
Shopping List for How to Install a Sliding Glass Door:
- sliding glass door with solid-vinyl doorjamb
- pressure-treated 2x4s
- ⅝-inch-thick exterior-grade plywood
- 15-pound builders paper
- quick-setting cement
- minimal-expanding foam, used to insulate around new door
- silicone sealant
- masonry screws
- 3½-inch (16d) nails
- 2½-inch (8d) nails
- 5/16-inch staples
- 3-inch screws
- wood shims
- wood shingles and shingle nails, for finishing new wall section
Tools List for How to Install a Sliding Glass Door:
- reciprocating saw
- 12-pound sledgehammer
- 4-foot level
- hammer drill fitted with masonry bit
- square shovel
- mixing tub, used for mixing cement
- caulk gun
- pointed trowel
- flat trowel
- hammer stapler
- utility knife
Follow This Old House: